Saturday 7 February 2015

Labour are the Party of Business

I lost my job as a Chartered Engineer during the savage years of recession created by the Thatcher Government, when so many of our wealth creating industries were undermined and destroyed. But I had a skill, and set up my own small engineering design business. It benefited greatly from Gordon Brown's time as Chancellor, who recognised that small businesses are the back bone of UK enterprise. Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) represent over 50% of UK GDP, are almost wholly British owned and offer a wide range of employment opportunities. Being small, SMEs are able to move quick to secure new markets, and make this country more prosperous. I was able to grow the business thanks to Labour's low Corporation Tax levels for small businesses; now abolished. I had assistance from my Regional Development Agency, who provided advice and helped me build supply chains; now also abolished. We export to many EU countries, which has been made so much easier thanks to the European Union which has slashed red-tape for exporters and reduced the cost of selling overseas; which UKIP and many Tories want us to leave. I also work part-time training the engineers of tomorrow at a University. We need skilled engineers and technicians to create wealth, but how many people can afford the £9000 a year fees imposed by the Coalition Government. Why has the Government undermined the enterprise culture in our schools with policies that downgraded the 'value' of 'Design & Technology' and removed practicals and course-work from exams. Businesses need people who can work throughout the year (coursework) and apply their knowledge to create wealth (practicals).  My business is certainly not 'big business', but I am proud to pay my fair share of British taxes. I am backing Labour like many, many other small business owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment